Week 3 - Progress and Struggles faced during the "Improve git-bisect"

Hi folks,

A slightly hectic but great week towards successfull completion of the project. I am getting the hang of Git now, various terms, features, and concepts are undoubtedly making sense now and the project is quite fruitful as an experience that enhances my ability to understand the things in a better way and build my skills in coding.

This week tasks were:

  • "--autosquash" my commits with pranit's old commit.
  • Resolving the mentor's review issues after code pushed to Git.
  • Creating separate patches for sending it to the git's mailing list.

I have successfully completed my tasks for this week. Further, I am changing the description of the patch to the changes I had made so far and describing why I made those changes. Then the Patch will be ready to be submitted in the Git's mailing list for review.

Talking about the struggles I faced so far in the project:

ROADBLOCK:
I would like to talk about the first roadblock that I faced in my way:

When the terms are uninitialized then this free(....) throws an error :


I was confused what is the Output when a NULL value is passed. I tried freeing the terms without using any if statement as per below conditions of Git but then also the error persisted. I asked for help from my mentors and they helped me to resolve this issue.






So, the solution to the issue is below:

The above could make sure that a reset would set the terms to NULL and avoid them being uninitialized.

In cmd_bisect__helper() I think there should be something like:
struct bisect_terms terms = { NULL, NULL }; instead of struct bisect_terms terms; to make sure the terms are initialized.
So, I would suggest my fellow outreachy interns to first reach out to your mentors whenever you are stuck by any roadblocks and do not hesitate to ask questions. I am sure you will find the solution with there help asap.
That's all for this week.
Have a great week ahead:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 4 & 5 - A week for the Audience

Week 1 - Getting Started with FOSS and GIT Community

Week 10 & 11